Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Anti-Apartheid Poetry, DC Shows, Etc.

Welcome back. Been kind of slacking with posting lately so here's a bunch of goodies.

I had this awesome guest lecturer yesterday for my US-Africa Policy course named Dr. Keith Gottschalk. He grew up in South Africa during apartheid and would read his poetry at anti-apartheid rallies. He performed a few for us and I managed to find some more of it here.

For those readers reporting from the DC area, there are some awesome shows coming up.

The Black Cat
Wed Mar 24- THE RUBY SUNS, TORO Y MOI $10 Backstage 9:00
Thu Apr 15- OWEN PALLETT (formerly Final Fantasy) $15 Mainstage 8:00
Fri Apr 23- THE TALLEST MAN ON EARTH, NURSES $12 Mainstage 9:00


If the Ruby Suns show is really backstage, that will be crazy to see them in such a small space. Tour mate Toro Y Moi is also pretty awesome, he's associated with the whole 'chillwave' thing , that I still am refusing to subscribe to. I've heard good things about Owen Pallett's new album Heartland and live show in general, I'm thinking about checking that one out. Finally, The Tallest Man On Earth and Nurses show, despite being a weird mix, will be one NOT worth missing. I saw Nurses a year or two back at the Black Cat backstage and they are absolutely awesome live. Really trippy, cool stuff. The Tallest Man On Earth, aka Sweden's Kristian Matsson, also makes some very Dylan-esque, banjo-based folk; he's got a new album coming out on Dead Oceans later this year.

Also if you haven't grabbed your tickets to Liars at the Rock and Roll Hotel on April 14th, do that! I did a post about their 2010 album Sisterworld, and watching the soundscapes they create on that album be recreated live is going to be out of this world, especially at an intimate venue like the Rock and Roll Hotel. Hope to see you there.

I also found out about this awesome collective of L.A.-based producers called the WEDIDIT Collective. I found my way to their site because of a post on the awesome blog when we were younger & better about Shlomo, a sweet up and coming dj and member of the collective. Check out the other artists in the group and scroll through their site, they post some funny shit.

Phew, that's all. I'm going to try to do a write up on Tobacco's Fucked Up Friends tonight, we'll see if I get to that. Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment